Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

Is social security exempt from judgements/liens etc. & from

Customer Question
Is social security exempt...
Is social security exempt from judgements/liens etc. & from Bankruptcy
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
3/2/2009
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Federal law makes your Social Security benefits exempt from levy, garnishment, assignment by regular creditors, and from the trustee in bankruptcy. (The federal government can withhold some part of Social Security payments for taxes, student loans, or support, however.). That means that even a creditor with a judgment cannot intercept your Social Security payments nor can they take the money from you after it has been paid to you.

Roger, Attorney