How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Lend money out 6 years ago have a promising letter to pay back

Customer Question

Lend money out 6 years ago have a promising letter to pay back in the years to come now saying CAN'T. Told me she'll pay meI have 1 check she gave me for 300 and text she will pay.Also in her divorce papers she made an agreement to pay me back in the divorce papers for 22,000Now saying SHE CAN'T PAY ME BACK DOLLARS .She going bankrupt what should i do? want my money BACK PLEASE HELP
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.


Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

The debt awarded to your ex in the divorce is not dischargable in bankruptcy. Her obligations to you under the divorce decree will not be forgiven by the bankruptcy.

Section 523 of the Bankruptcy Code excepts from discharge both property settlements and support obligations.

You can read the Code here:

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,