socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

Effective Jan.30,2009 we have officially filed bankruptcy (Chapter

Effective Jan.30,2009 we have officially filed bankruptcy (Chapter 7). We own several properties, one of which we have had on the market since 10/01/08 (6 mo. contract) We notified the agent of this and she wanted us to ask our attorney could she do the short sale. hold it. I do not know enough about this to go through with her request. should we cancel our contract? Our we liable to the agent for anything? Do we owe the R/E agent anything for whatever services she rendered. Are we in violation of the agent/prinicple agreement, because we are filing Bankruptcy without her prior knowledge? The agent wants to try to sell the property as a "short sale" so long as it gets done before the trustees take over. That made uncomfortable, she is talking to me vial email, and she is a Broker, who should know what short sales are all about. She could not get one offer for the property, but now she sounds confident that she can get a contract before the trustees take over. What are my rights?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

You can't sell anything without the bankruptcy trustee's consent. The trustee will probably consent to a short sale, because there's no money in the property for any creditor -- short sale or not. But, without that consent, you coud have the entire deal signed, sealed and delivered, and the trustee could simply say, "no," and that would be the end of it -- after which, you could get sued by the buyer for misrepresentation, and because the sales contract was entered into after the bankruptcy was filed, you would be personally liable to the buyer for damages, with no protection available from the bankruptcy court.

So you may want to consider getting the bankruptcy trustee's consent first.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Have I violated any of the terms of agreement between the broker and I?