How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 12249
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I attended a trade school about 8 years. I only attended for

Resolved Question:

I attended a trade school about 8 years. I only attended for three months. I dropped out due to an illness. The school kept cashing the student loan checks. I just received a letter from a collection agency stating i owe for the full two years. The collection agency even threatend to garnish my wages. What do i do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you. Before I can adequately answer your question, I need a little more information.

Can you clarify whether you signed up for courses, etc.? How did the school get the checks? Are you implying fraud?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I signed up for the two year course. I had to drop out due to a illness.. The school knew this. The bank sent the school the checks after i had dropped out. The school kept cashing the checks even though i didnt attend. I would consider that fraud.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

Hi again.

It sounds like your beef is with the school rather than the bank. Have you spoken the school officials? You may be in a situation where you will need to seek reimbursement from the school. Unless the bank was not authorized to send the checks to the school (and it probably was authorized via the contract), then unfortunately, you probably owe the bank.

Did you contact the bank and inform it that you had dropped out and that no further payments should be sent? If not, then I suggest you contact the school and find out if they will help resolve this in any way. If not, then you will need to hire a lawyer who can review all of your paperwork, contact the school's legal department, and possibly file a lawsuit on your behalf.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!


DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the state of Maryland. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.


TJ, Esq. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you