JP
JP, Attorney
Experience:  Represented creditors and individuals in bankruptcy and consumer matters.
11699753

can i keep my home if i go into ch 7 igot divorce had debt

Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JP replied 8 years ago.

You can keep your home in a chapter 7 case, if you can bring the loan current and continue with the regular payments due under the note. Unfortunately, there is no repayment plan in a chapter 7 case, so there is no way to force your mortgage company into a repayment plan if you fall behind. The chapter 7 will temporarily stop a foreclosure because the mortgage company will have to seek permission from the bankruptcy court before they will be able to proceed with foreclosure, but there is no long term protection from foreclosure in a chapter 7. If you can't bring the loan current and continue with the regular payments, then there is a chance that you can still lose your home in the chapter 7 case.

I hope you found this information helpful.

Best Regards,