Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

Is it easier to get credit after filing a chapter 7 or chapter

Is it easier to get credit after filing a chapter 7 or chapter 13 bankruptcy, at what period of time can u start reestablishing credit?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

My experience has indicated that it appears easier to reestablish credit after a Chapter 7. The reason for this seems to be that after a Chapter 7 discharge, the debtor is prohibited from filing another Chapter 7 for 8 years. This means that the individual has very few debts remaining after discharge and an inability to receive a second discharge for 8 years.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
Customer/span>

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

At what point can you start reestablishing credit?

Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

I have found that the best time is immediately after discharge. If credit is not reestablished after 2 or 3 years, it seems to become progreesively more difficult.

Good luck.

Thank you,
Customer/span>