Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

My ex husband got a credit card in our divorse it was 6,000

My ex husband got a credit card in our divorse it was 6,000 at the time. I had to let him have the credit card since then I have filed bancruptcy chapter 7 with said I was allso not liable for his debt. Now he is fileing for bankruptcy and my credit report say I need to pay 24,000$ that I was not even responsable for. 2001 seperated, 2002 divorsed,2003 my chapter 7,2008 his bankruptcy
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

You can send a copy of your discharge to the reporting agencies with a request that they update their records accurately. If they fail to do so, you can bring an action against them under the fair credit reporting act.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
Customer/span>

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I need to know if this is still ok If this particular debt was not reported in my bankruptcy am I still liable? Only he was reported as a crediter I thought I was not responsable for it because a judge said I was not in the divorce. for the 6000 at the time in 2002
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Did the creditor have notice of your filing, maybe because of another card you had with the same creditor?

Were any assets available in your bankruptcy to pay the creditors?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no I dont think so but the bankruptcy is present in my credit report on several other things. None of them where connected but now this company that us bank credit card sold the account to is trying to get me to pay it because dave is fileing bankruptcy on them. What are my legal rights. to protect my self.??????
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Send the collection company a copy of your discharge and a letter instructing them that the debt was validly discharged in your bankruptcy. Instruct them to stop all collection action against you. If they persist in their collection efforts, you can file an action against them under the Fair Debt Collection Act.

Thank you,
Customer/span>