How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 38901
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My divorce was finalized January 02, 2008. During our marriage

Resolved Question:

My divorce was finalized January 02, 2008. During our marriage we had incurred several expenses which he was awarded after the divorce, i.e. house, his car, deck, his loan and motorcycle. This information is also included in our divorce decree. During the last 12 months he have been late on the mortgage payment 8 times. I've talked to him several times to try to get it taken care of and refuse to take any action; example: sell the house. I really want to remove his debt from my name; for one he is messing up my credit and two I am unable to get approved for anything due to my debt to income. Would you recommend that I file bankruptcy?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

Regretablly, the situation that you describe is a common result of divorce.


The court can award a joint obligation to one party to pay, but if that party doesn't pay, then the other party's credit is damaged.


Bankruptcy will not fix your problem, because the mortgage is a secured debt, and it is not dischargable in bankruptcy. To my knowledge, unless the judge could be convinced to set aside the prior judgment and order the house sold (which, I seriously doubt is possible), there is no recourse.


I note that your attorney said you could sue your ex for being continuously late on the mortgage. But, unless he promised to pay the mortgage on time, you would have no cause of action against him. He was awarded the debt -- so, it's his to pay or default on.


About the only thing that I can think of that you could sue for would be "interferece with prospective contractual relations," and for that you would have to show that your ex's failure to pay was intentional or negligent, and that it was with knowledge of your existing or prospective contracts which would be damaged by his actions.


I don't think you can make that case.


I wish there were a solution to this problem -- if there were, I could make a fortune, because so many need a solution. But, there just isn't any that I'm aware of.



Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you