Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am an attorney.
635143

I have a summons to apperar in court for a credit card debit

I have a summons to apperar in court for a credit card debit in the amount of 6900. I can not pay it in full is there anything I can Do?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Fountain Hills, Arizona

Already Tried:
I haven't tried anything. I have been out of work.I was an escrow officer making 67,000 a year and know I make 22,000 a year. I can make payments but not a great deal. Could you help
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, a court will not look at your ability to pay. The court will only care about whether the debt is yours. Before a judgment is taken (or a verdict is reached), you can try to negotiate with your creditor to see if they will take less than the $6900. However, they are under no obligation to negotiate with you.

In the event you are unable to pay, after a judgment is taken, your wages may be garnished or they may attached your assets to the judgment (all in accordance with the laws of your state.)

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification. Otherwise, please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my efforts.

Good Luck!