Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney At Law handling education matters.
10285032

IF I WERE TO PURCHASE A HOME IN TEXAS FOR 124,000 CASH AND

Customer Question

IF I WERE TO PURCHASE A HOME IN TEXAS FOR 124,000 CASH AND FILED FOR A HOMESTEAD THEREAT WHILE I WAS CURRENT ON ALL MY DEBTS (I CURRENTLY HAVE 2 HOMES IN OTHER STATES THAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SELL FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS) AND SUBSEQUENTLY DEFAULTED ON 170,000 IN UNSECURED DEBT, WOULD TEXAS EXEMPTIONS FROM JUDGEMENT ALLOW ME TO KEEP THE HOME UNTIL I COULD FILE A BANKRUPTCY WHICH WOULD NOT "RUN AFOUL OF" THE 10-YEAR "BAN" OR WOULD THE FACT THAT THE AMOUNT IS LESS THAN 125,000 VITIATE THAT "BAN"?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
The Texas law states that a homestead as unlimited exemption in Texas as long as property cannot exceed 1 acre in town, village, city or 100 acres (200 acres for families) elsewhere; sale proceeds exempt for 6 months after sale (need not occupy if not acquire another home, Property 41.003) Property 41.001, 41.002

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I AM AWARE OF THE TEXAS EXEMPTIONS, MY QUESTION WAS SPECIFIC NOT GENERAL. AS I AM AN ATTORNEY LICENSED IN COLORADO. I AM SEMI-RETIRED AND HAVE NOT DONE A BK SINCE THE LAW CHANGED SEVERAL YEARS AGO.

BASED ON WHAT I HAVE READ, I HAVE OPTIONS(ONE WOULD BE TO PUT MY MONEY INTO PAYING DOWN THE BALANCE ON MY CURRENT HOME SO THAT WHEN IT SELLS I CAN TRANSFER THE SALE PROCEEDS TO A TEXAS RESIDENCE AND THE OTHER WOULD BE TO BUY A HOME IN TEXAS FOR LESS THAN 125,000). WHILE I THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT, I THINK I REQUIRE SOMEONE WITH MORE OF A BK-RELATED PRACTICE.

I am sorry, I believe I misunderstood your question, but I will opt out and transfer your question to someone in our bankruptcy section. Sorry for the misunderstanding.