Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I had my creditors meeting for chapter 7 about a month ago.Originally,

Customer Question

I had my creditors meeting for chapter 7 about a month ago.Originally, we were going to keep the house, but since we were a month behind at the time of filing, we have received a motion for relief from the mortgage holder. We have decided to let the house go in with the bankruptcy, but the lawyer will not return my call. Since we have not sighned a reaffirment and the house is listed as a debt, do we need to do anything? We are now 2 months behind and are just ready to rent.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Grottoes, Virginia

Already Tried:
It hasn't been discharged yet and they won't let me access my mortgage account online
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

Since you have not signed the reaffirmation and have listed the lender as a creditor, you do not typically need to take additional action.

You likely have some time before you will need to vacate the house. The lender will first need to obtain relief from stay, next foreclose and finally give you 30 days notice to vacate.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Even if we told the lawyer that we wanted to keep it? Even if we said at the creditors meeting that we wanted to? We haven't sighned anything with the mortgage company
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

If you said at the creditors meeting that you wanted to keep the property, my answer still stands. You need to actually enter into a reaffirmation agreement to reaffirm the debt.

I hope that this information has helped you.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please ask for FLAandNYLawyer.

Please CLICK ACCEPT so I can receive credit

Bonus and Positive Feedback = job well done.