How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JP Your Own Question
JP, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 109
Experience:  Represented creditors and individuals in bankruptcy and consumer matters.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
JP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an legal issue. I recently moved from Orlando Florida

Resolved Question:

I have an legal issue. I recently moved from Orlando Florida 4 months ago to South Korea. I left because I was unable to find a job after college and my bills were piling up. Initally, I recieved a job offer here and I thought I would be able to pay off a decent amount of debt. Well as soon as I got here the global Asian market went bazerk and the amount it cost to even transfer money back to the states is insane. For example, to tranfer $1000 dollars, I lose about $400 dollars. This is the difference of what I thought I could pay up my bills. So my question is, I would like to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy, but the all the lawyers I have tried contacting in orlando will not help me until I move back, which is at least a year away. Is there anyway I can find a lawyer to help me in the states? If not, would it be a terrible idea to just not pay my bills until I get back, then backrupt? I owe about $15,000 in CC and $7500 on a vehicle. What should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JP replied 8 years ago.

You are going to be hard pressed to locate a lawyer in the States who will assist you with this bankruptcy case filing before returning to the states. However, there may be a lawyer out there somewhere who can assist you, but you must know that in order to file a chapter 7 case in the US you will need to reside, have a domicile, a place of business, or property in the US. If you don't meet these requirements, then you will not be able to file a chapter 7 in the US.


I would never advise someone not to pay their bills, but only you know your true financial situation and if you are unable to pay the bills that you have then you may need to stop making regular payments to these creditors. I would suggest contacting your creditors and attempt to work out either a repayment plan or make an offer to settle the debt owed on the debt. You may have to stop using the credit cards and live off of cash and surrender your vehicle back to the lender and obtain a car that you can afford. However, being only $22,500 in debt, I would say that you are not bankrupt at the current time, you are simply experiencing some financial hardships at the current time but life is cyclical and you can get out of your current financial situation without going bankrupt.


Start contacting your creditors today and begin working your way out of debt.


I hope you found this information helpful.


Best Regards,

JP and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you