How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31782
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has leased a home in Austin for two years and has

This answer was rated:

My daughter has leased a home in Austin for two years and has a lease agreement with the owner that required her to put up a $2,600.00 damage deposit which she did last summer. Now her landlord has notified her that she has filed for bankruptcy and that my daughter needs to contact the mortgage company and pay her rent to them. Is that the correct procedure and what is the disposition of her damage waiver funds? The landlord says she believes those funds are placed in trust. What is the normal resolution of this situation?

If the landlord is going to turn over the property to the lender, your daughter will have to contact it about continuing the rental agreement with the lender/new owner. Also, her deposit should be turned over to the lender/new owner as well. This money is not part of the person's bankruptcy because it is not her money - it's your daughter's.


Bear in mind that the lender/new owner does not have to assume the contract and can make your daughter vacate the property. The contract is cancelled by the landlord's filing of bankruptcy. Even if this occurs, she should be able to recover her deposit less any expenses for reasonable repair.

Roger and 3 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you