How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask johngibson15219 Your Own Question
johngibson15219, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 159
Experience:  Admitted to Pennsylvania Bar 1980. I'm familiar with the new law.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
johngibson15219 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am very badly in debt and have poor credit. I am married

Resolved Question:

I am very badly in debt and have poor credit. I am married but my husband and I have everything separate. Nothing is in both our names. All my bills are in my name. We have a house but the house is in my husbands name. Is it possible for me to file bankruptcy separately without involving him or without him even knowing?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  johngibson15219 replied 8 years ago.
Debt consolidation and debt settlement are usually not the best way to go with credit problems. Bankruptcy is a clearer solution. Whether or not this is your best solution depends upon your individual situation. Generally one spouse can file a Bankruptcy Petition but it would be difficult to imagine a situation where the other spouse would not be aware of it. You should talk to an attorney in your area that practices bankruptcy law. Generally, attorneys are willing to discuss bankruptcy matters with you at no charge or at a minimal charge.
johngibson15219 and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you