How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JP Your Own Question
JP, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 109
Experience:  Represented creditors and individuals in bankruptcy and consumer matters.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
JP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have signed a contract with a company to build a pool. I

Resolved Question:

I have signed a contract with a company to build a pool. I gave them a $1000.00 deposit, and they were to apply for permit's. They have filed chapter 11 last week. Is the contract still binding. At this point I don't want them to build my pool, due to warranty issues, and lack of performance. The phone is disconnected, and I can't get in touch with them.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JP replied 8 years ago.

You should contact the bankruptcy court clerk. They can assist you with researching the company in the bankruptcy case system to obtain a docket report for their bankruptcy case filing. The docket report will contain their attorneys contact information as well as a plan explaining what they intend to do with their contracts, their assets and their debts, if the plan has been filed. Also, if the company was incorporated, then they should have registered agent contact information with your Secretary of State office.


Your contract will be in effect until such time as it is rejected by the company (the "debtor") in the bankruptcy case. Once you obtain contact information from the bankruptcy case, you can contact the attorneys and they can tell you the debtor's intentions regarding your particular contract.


I hope you found this information helpful.


Best Regards.

JP and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you