How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31689
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I force someone who owes me money into bankruptcy A garnishment on hi

This answer was rated:

How can I, as a personal creditor, force someone who owes me money into personal bankruptcy? Should I first hire a collection agency?

Here is the situation. I loaned a man a lot of money and it was secured by a second deed of trust on two of his investment properties.
Those properties are now "under water", meaning his first mortgage loan balances are greater than the market value on these properties.
He stopped paying the first mortgages last February. But he continued to pay me until July 1st.
I was notified in July by the two first mortgage lenders that they had started foreclosure proceedings.
If there were any equity in the properties I would bring the first loans current and foreclose myself. But there is no equity.
He is a Mexican hard working man, and speaks no English. I got into this position through a mortgage broker whom I trusted.Do I need a lawyer? If so what should be his/her specialty?
Approximately how much will it cost?

It is possible to force a debtor into involuntary bankruptcy. The requirements for placing a debtor into an involuntary bankruptcy are spelled out in Section 303 of the federal Bankruptcy Code. Virtually any debtor is eligible - whether an individual, partnership, corporation, or trust - except farmers and non-business corporations. A debtor is eligible if it meets either of two tests: (1) it is generally not paying its debts (other than those that are the subject of a bona fide dispute) as they become due, or (2) a custodian has been appointed during the last 120 days to take charge of substantially all of the debtor's property. Once proof of either of these two circumstances is made, the bankruptcy court must place the debtor into bankruptcy for liquidation of its assets (Chapter 7) or court-supervised reorganization (Chapter 11).


If he meets these requirements, then you can do this. However, you will need an attorney. Prices vary depending on how much of a fight the debtor puts up. My experience is that this will cost no less than $3000.00 to go through the entire process.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Can I get a garnishment on his wages? Is it different in California vs. Mississippi?

Thank you

The bankruptcy code is federal law, so it applies to every state evenly.


If you don't want to go this route, you can garnish his wages. However, in order to do so, you have to get a judgment against him first. Once the judgment is endered, you can file a suggestion for writ of garnishment and a writ of garnishment.


My suggestion is to hire an attorney to sue the debtor, get a judgment and then get the garnishment going. The attorney's fees should be recoverable in the garnishment action.

Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you