How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JP Your Own Question
JP, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 109
Experience:  Represented creditors and individuals in bankruptcy and consumer matters.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
JP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter filed for bankruptcy. Her lawyer was happy to take

Customer Question

My daughter filed for bankruptcy. Her lawyer was happy to take her money, and now this has become a nightmare. He doesn't care, doesn't return her calls,tells her she doesn't have to go to a meeting or hearing when she does. Not she's being told she owes 1000 dollars to trustee? He gives her no answers. The last straw was today when she was supposed to go to his office for some kind of conference call, and he wasn't even there. His aid told her it had been changed, and she was never notified. I feel helpless as to how I can get this man.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JP replied 9 years ago.

Your daughter must remember that she can go to any bankruptcy lawyer. She does not have to stay with her current lawyer, if the situation is not beneficial to her. She should contact another bankruptcy lawyer asap and try to have another attorney substitute in on her case.


Regarding hearings, hearing notices are generally sent to both the debtor and the debtor's attorney. You daughter should check with the trustee to ensure that her correct address is listed on the docket report. If not, she should notify the bankruptcy clerk of her valid mailing address which would solve the hearing notice situation. Also, she should know that it is always better to attend a hearing or meeting scheduled in your case at all times, especially if she can not trust the judgment of her attorney regarding whether she should attend.


The trustee's office is going to be her best point of reference at this time, until she retains new counsel. The trustee's office will be able to, at the very least, advise of the status of her case and let her know why she is behind on her payments.


I hope you found this information to be helpful.


Best Regards.

JP and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Well, I like your idea, I just hope it's not too late. Another thing, she gave this attorney allher money , and if she retains new one he's going to want money. She has none---that's why she's fiing bankruptcy. This attorney is a real scumbag. wish i could cause some trouble for him. My daughter is young and trusting, putting her faith in him, and look what he does?
Expert:  JP replied 9 years ago.

She should start with a volunteer lawyers association in your area, which may be able to find an attorney to take her case at no charge.


She can also ask the attorney substituting into her case, if he would consider placing the fees into her chapter 13 plan, rather than taking money from her up front. The attorney may not like the idea, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. If she pays her trustee payments timely, the attorney would get paid from the trustee over time.


Best Regards.