How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JP Your Own Question
JP, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 109
Experience:  Represented creditors and individuals in bankruptcy and consumer matters.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
JP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if ur credit card company sue u and u already moved out form

Customer Question

if ur credit card company sue u and u already moved out form that state ?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JP replied 9 years ago.

You should file a Motion to Transfer Venue in the case so that the matter can be litigated in the State where you currently reside. This should be done before you file an answer in the case and can actually be filed without an attorney. However, if you are going to file the Motion to transfer without actually hiring an attorney, I would suggest that you contact a Volunteer Lawyers association or legal clinic in your area to assist with the Motion to Transfer. If that fails, you can always stop by a local law library and the librarians there will be able to assist with locating a sample form which can be used.


Once this matter is transferred to the State where you currently live, I would suggest being an active participant in the litigation and make sure that the creditor has filed the lawsuit within the Statue of Limitations. This is a question that you would need to ask a volunteer lawyer or legal clinic aid in your area. If the case was filed after the statute of limitations expired then they will not be able to proceed with the litigation.


But again, have the lawsuit moved to your current State and be an active participant in the process.


I hope you found this information helpful.


Best Regards