How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask VanDLaw Your Own Question
VanDLaw, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 833
Experience:  Chapter 7 & 13
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
VanDLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After filing BK approximately 2 years ago I continue to be ...

Customer Question

After filing BK approximately 2 years ago I continue to be plagued with the types of problems I was told this action would address. I used the services of an attorney specializing in BK law, however I am becoming more and more disappointed with the quality of his service. The problem I would like addressed here: the credit union I belonged to at the time of the action issued one of the credit cards I wanted discharged. In addition, I also listed two personal loans, combined they represented roughly $3000.00 of debt, at this credit union. The BK was formally discharged at the end of January, 07. Sometime during the last quarter of 07 I began to try to re-establish my credit. When I received nothing but rejections, I requested a copy of my credit report. Surprisingly I saw all the accounts listed in connection with the particular credit union reported as a charge-off or 30,60, 90 or 180 days delinquent! The attorney claims to be working on the case- there is no evidence of this.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 9 years ago.

Unfortunately, it can be one-two years from the date of discharge for the credit bureaus to get "caught up" and correct your report to accurately reflect the discharge of debt. This isn't really anything the attorney can control, it is the credit bureau's issue.

You can dispute the report yourself online, and because you have been adversely affected can request free reports until the issues are resolved.