How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask VanDLaw Your Own Question
VanDLaw, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 833
Experience:  Chapter 7 & 13
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
VanDLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I read that you need to file a tax return four years in a ...

This answer was rated:

I read that you need to file a tax return four years in a row in order to file for personal bankruptcy. There is one year I would need that I didn't file as there was no income. Is there anything I can do to remedy this situation?


Part of the documentation you need to submit when filing bankruptcy is the last three years tax returns (not four), it requires you to provide the documentation not acutally file.

If you did not file the tax return for a specific year, you simply include an "Affidavit of No Tax Return Filed" , or similar document required by the Trustee for that particular year. State why you didn't file, if none was required then you are fine, and it shouldn't prevent you from filing bankruptcy.

However, you must be sure and file a tax return if you are filing Chapter 13, you will be required to file for all five years or face dismissal of the bankruptcy.

VanDLaw and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you