How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jbrlaw Your Own Question
jbrlaw, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 269
Experience:  Creditors' rights lawyer involving collections, foreclosures and bankruptcies for almost 19 years.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
jbrlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is in regard to a $2400 surgeons bill

This answer was rated:

My question is in regard to a $2400 surgeon's bill that handed over for collection. My husband had a quadruple bypass in May 06 and I was trying to manage all of the bills and pay them monthly, which I did every month. I paid all of the monthly statements every month. Because I had so many bills, I didn't realize that I was not receiving the surgeon's statement.   I never got a call, a demand for payment of a "final notice.   By the time I realized this, I received a bill from IC Systems...the surgeon's bill had been turned over for collections and the phone calls began....6 - 7 times a day, morning, noon and night 24/7.   I've pulled a copy of our credit reports and they show the bill is unpaid and has been given over for collections. My dilemma is that I was told by an IC Systems rep that even if we pay it off, we are not guaranteed that it will be noted or removed from our credit. What do I do? Our good credit is already damaged with no incentive to hand over the $2400 now???
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) prevents harrassing behavior by collectors. So, if you send a wriiten letter demanding that calls stop if you are represented by an attorney, the collector has violated the FDCPA. If you receive calls before 8 am or after 9 pm, the FDCPA is violated. Each violation carries a penalty of up to $1000 plus attorneys fees.

Now, the credit entry is clearly appropriate. If you pay the debt, the report will be noted as "debt paid" or "settled" buut it will not be removed.

Remember that you may be sued for the money at any time. Therefore, it is unwise to simply ignore the matter.

If this information was responsive, kindly “ACCEPT so that I may receive the appropriate credit for my time. If you are so inclined, bonuses and positive feedback are always appreciated. Of course, if you require further clarification, please post a reply. Thank you and good luck!

Please note that I may not be licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction. As such, my above comments shall not be construed as legal advice and shall not be deemed to form an attorney-client relationship.

jbrlaw and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Your answer was very clear. The rapid response was very much appreciated. You said the instance will not be removed when paid, but will be noted. Do I need a receipt from IC SYSTEMS as proof?   Thank you very much for your help!   Customer
Yes. You should insist on a release or a letter stating that you have paid the account in full. Then, you may write a letter to the credit reporting agency and post your comment regarding the oversight. It will appear on your credit report for as long as the entry remains.

Thanks for the bonus!!!
jbrlaw and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you again!

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions