Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am an attorney.
635143

Can they really garnish my husbands wages or take our house

Customer Question

I am now disabled and cant work and I only make $590.00 a month and have had for many years used several diff. credit cards to pay copays and medicines and gas and medical bills with....They are in my name and not my husbands...He does work but we live paycheck to paycheck....I tried to arrange a payment with these credit card companies and then even the collection agencies but no onle would listen or work with me also now I am turned over to law firms.. I am scared and have no means to correct all of this damage we had excellent credit and never had this happen before...we have a 14 year old daughter to care for as well.....what if we just di nothing then what would happen other than having bad credit????????? I have tried credit counseling and talking to christians and family and lawyers but still feel stuck and no way ahead and really scared......what legal rights do they really have with these unsecure debts?/Thank you...
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 9 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question.

In the event that you do nothing, your creditors will be able to sue you. In the event they obtain a judgment against you, they may be able to execute the judgment by attaching the judgment to your assets, putting a levy on your bank account and/or garnishing your wages (depending on the laws of your state). In addition to the delinquent debt, the judgment will also be reported on your credit.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

-KAT

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
YES BUT i DO NOT WORK AND NOTHING IS IN MY NAME AND MY HUSBAND IS NOT ON THOSE CREDIT CARD DEBTS???? sO WILL THEY SUE HIM SINCE i HAVE NOTHING??????
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
also can they garnish my disabilty check I get each month and no account is in my name on the bank accounts......We are not getting along and have been trying to work out our differences. I dont think they can come after my husbands assets only mine correct