How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31788
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i live in south carolina when my husband and i were not ...

This answer was rated:

i live in south carolina when my husband and i were not married we bought a house i supplied down payment so my name was on the deed but not on the loan my mother has put some of her assets in my name for her care in the future and i have received a notice of a judgment hearing against me for the home even though i was not on the loan will they take my mother''s money

If you're on the deed but not the note to the bank, the foreclosure cannot effect you financially. The bank cannot make you pay on any of the debt.

The reason you were sued is because you have an interest in the house, and the bank cannot get good title to the property from the foreclosure proceedings unless you are sued as an owner of the property.

It is likely that if you offer the bank a quitclaim deed for your interest in the property, the'll dismiss the case against you.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you can't be held responsible for the note if you didn't sign it.

Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you