Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

OFFICE LEASE

LANDLORD IS FILING BANKRUPTCY....
LANDLORD IS FILING BANKRUPTCY. SHE IS TRYING TO KEEP THE BUILDING. THERE ARE 6 TENANTS WITH SEPARATE OFFICES. IF THE BANK TAKE IT BACK WILL THEY HAVE TO HONER OUR LEASES OR CAN THEY TELL US TO LEAVE. OFFICE BUILDING IN THE STATE OF TENNESSEE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
7/18/2008
VanDLaw
VanDLaw, Attorney

HelloCustomer

Commercial real estate leases are governed by special rules in bankruptcy. If a lease's term has not yet expired, it is known as an "unexpired lease". Although the landlord can reject a lease and no longer perform any of its duties as landlord, the landlord cannot use bankruptcy to evict a tenant that prefers to stay in possession of the premises. In Section 365(h)(1) of the Bankruptcy Code, a tenant may elect to remain in the premises for the remaining term of the lease, plus any renewal or extension of the term that may be provided in the lease if enforceable under applicable state law. If the tenant elects, the tenant must continue to pay the rent required under the lease but can offset against that rent any damages caused by the landlord's nonperformance.

However, you said she is trying to keep the building that means she is trying to "reaffirm" her obligation. If she does reaffirm and keep the building, your lease will remain intact.

If she is unable to retain the building, the bank does have the right to terminate the lease. However, it is highly unlikely they would do so. Unleased commercial property is a waste, and the bank will most likley want you to stay and keep paying.

Bankruptcy can have a significant impact on commercial real estate leases. For this reason, it is important to get prompt legal advice on your particular lease, especially if the bankruptcy proceeding has started, to protect your rights. Further, the tenants should be listed as a creditor on the Landlord's bankruptcy petition. Also, check your lease carefully there may be some language regarding the event of bankruptcy and any remedies.

Landlord states that the personal bankruptcy part has been discharged. She did not reaffirm the building. The bank did ask them too. The construction/business part of the business has not been dischrged yet. Landlord states the building was in the personal part.

If I understand you correctly she included your building in her personal bankruptcy, and that has been discharged without her reaffirming. If that is the case the owner and your landlord is the bank. If you have the bank information call them and ask them what their intentions are in regards XXXXX XXXXX tenants in the building. They do not have to honor the lease, but most likely will.
VanDLaw
VanDLaw, Attorney
VanDLaw
VanDLaw
VanDLaw, Attorney