How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JoeLawyer Your Own Question
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 767
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
JoeLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is on disability and I suffered a stroke in

Resolved Question:

My husband is on disability and I suffered a stroke in june ''07, and try as I might I am not physically able to work. We can''t pay our bills and I''m wondering if bankruptcy is maybe a solution? Our home is not much but we have a mortgage and don''t want to lose it. When we pay our mortgage, it just about wipes us out for the month.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 9 years ago.


I'm sorry to hear about your ailments. Of course it is impossible to determine if bankruptcy is your best option online, and even if it were possible it would be unlawful to do so in this forum for a host of professional responsibility rules.

However, bankruptcy might be a good option, it generally allows a person to discharge (wipe out) their unsecured debt, like credit cards, medical bills, personal loans, etc, and reaffirm debts they want to keep, like a mortgage. So, it may be possible to file Chapter 7 and get rid of all your debts except your mortgage.

I suggest you consult with a bankruptcy attorney in your area. Many of them offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose and you may gain some very valuable information. I have helped a lot of people in situations similar to your with bankruptcy, and sometimes I have been able to find non-bankruptcy alternatives for them.

I hope this helps and a positive feedback is always appreciated if this was useful to you.


LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above (c) by Joseph Ross, all rights reserved.


JoeLawyer and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions