How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Girl Your Own Question
Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 4606
Experience:  I am an attorney.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Law Girl is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend of mines father drained the family bank ...

Resolved Question:

A friend of mine's father drained the family bank account and left the country to be with his mistress, leaving the mother and 4 dependent kids (ages 13 - 20) a month behind on their mortgage and who knows what other bills unpaid.   Obviously there are many issues that need to be worked on, but the most pressing one is to make sure they don't lose the house. The mother was not working outside the home previous to these events. My friend (the eldest of the 5 kids @ 29) and three of the four kids are all working, and they should be able to come up with enough money to survive, *if* they can get a break for a month or two. I've always been their 'go-to' friend for problem-solving, and I'm happy to do it. But this is so far outside of anything I've had experience with I don't know the best way to start. Obviously, they'll need a lawyer, but what specialty, how to find a good one, how to change bank accounts so the (soon to be ex) husband can't hurt them further... Where do I begin?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 9 years ago.


Thank you for your question.

If your friend is going to have debt problems in the near future, you may want an attorney who is knowledgeable about consumer laws and maybe even bankruptcy. However, in retaining an attorney, the family will need to put money up that could go to the home. So the first step may involve the wife placing a call to the mortgage lender's loss mitigation department to explore whether she has any options or whether the lender can cut her some slack for a couple of months. Many lenders have programs set up to prevent foreclosure for borrowers that hit hard times and are unable to make their mortgage payments.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!




Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Law Girl's Post: Thank you for answering my question. One clarification I'd like is how to find a good attorney in the first place. I don't really trust just going to the yellow pages; I'd like to know if there's a good way to find someone they can trust. I'll be sure to accept your answer when you reply so that you get paid, too. Thanks again.                 Robert
Expert:  Law Girl replied 9 years ago.
What state is this occurring in?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Law Girl's Post: California, in San Diego county.
Expert:  Law Girl replied 9 years ago.

The California State Bar should be able to provide some recommendations for skilled and competent counsel. They can be reached at 1-866-442-2529.


Law Girl and 3 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions