Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

How much can Calif allow creditors to garnish paychecks

6/12/2008
Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question.

California law allows garnishment up to 25% of the debtor's net disposable earnings.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

-KAT

Reply to Law Girl's Post: net "disposable" how is that determined?
Disposable income is defined as income not reasonably necessary for the
maintenance or support of the debtor or dependents. In the original order, this may be merely a prediction. However, the debtor has the ability to prove these factors in court, to modify a garnishment order to ensure that the appropriate amount of wages are being garnished.
Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Law Girl
Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney