How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JoeLawyer Your Own Question
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 767
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
JoeLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tennent in kentucky who is not late on his ...

Resolved Question:

I have a tennent in kentucky who is not late on his rent but I just recieved a notice that he is filing bankruptcy. should I do anything?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 9 years ago.

Hi JD:

I can't give you legal advice since I do not practice law in Kentucky so it would be illegal to tell you what you should do.

But, I can give you information. One helpful piece of information is that on Schedule G of the bankruptcy petition, it normally says what the debtor intends to do regarding contracts and leases. So, if on Schedule G it says the debtor is honoring the lease, then normally the landlord doesn't not have any issues. If it says the debtor is rejecting the lease, then the landlord may have to take some measures (eviction, etc).

Again, I cannot tell you what to do, but I can tell you that I represent debtors in bankruptcy, and I do not know if I have ever had a landlord on a current lease do anything except continue to collect their rent, or very occasionally they call and ask me if the debtor intends to keep the lease and I look at Schedule G and tell them. Now, I'm not saying because everyone else does it that way you should, but I am telling you so you have a feel for how many landlords deal with similar situations. You would of course have to consult an attorney in your area for advice.

I hope this helps and a positive feedback is always appreciated if this was useful to you.

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.

JoeLawyer and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you