Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I was just contacted about a credit card debt for

$3,000 that they say was...
I was just contacted about a credit card debt for $3,000 that they say was from 1997. what is the ststute of limitation, and do i have to settle with the cerditor ?
6/10/2008
Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
What state are you in?
Reply to Law Girl's Post: I am in the state of Calif.

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, the statute of limitations on debt in California is four years from the date that you breached the agreement. In California, some judges have known to be lenient on their interpretation of the statute.

Ultimately, that statute may be affected by conversations you had with the creditor, the last time a payment was made, and/or the creditors collection attempts.

Although no one can force you to settle with the creditor, whether this is in your best options is really dependent on the facts of this debt and its collection. Without more information about what has transpired on the account, it is very difficult to know whether settlement is in your best interests.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

-KAT

Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Law Girl
Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney