How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WA Bankruptcy Lawyer Your Own Question
WA Bankruptcy Lawyer
WA Bankruptcy Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 25
Experience:  30 years practice. Author of several articles.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
WA Bankruptcy Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a chapter 7 bankruptcy discharged 14 months ago ...

Resolved Question:

I had a chapter 7 bankruptcy discharged 14 months ago and I now would like to trade in a vehicle I purchased 3 months before filing for bankruptcy. I retained the vehicle but didn''t reaffirm it. Can I give the vehicle back to the loan company and wipe this from my debt under the bankruptcy? I am upside down $6000 in a vehicle that has become very expensive with the cost of gas and would like to trade it for something more economical. Also of note, there is some minor damage that occured to the vehicle when someone 'hit and run'. Do we need to fix this or can we return the vehicle in 'as is' condition? Is this legal &/or ethical?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WA Bankruptcy Lawyer replied 9 years ago.
If you did not reaffirm, you can return the vehicle to the lender. The debt is discharged and they may not seek a defciency. As to the damage, is it insured. If so, turn in the insurance claim. If not, I can think of possible problems but they are unlikely.
WA Bankruptcy Lawyer and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you