Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

I have $80,000 in credit card debt and no way of repaying ...

Customer Question

I have $80,000 in credit card debt and no way of repaying it, I am retired, on SS and a teacher's pension. If I walk away from it without going through bankruptcy what can the credit card companies do to me? Can they garnish my pension or SS?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  CA Lawyer replied 9 years ago.
What type of teacher's pension is it? (What retirement/pension plan)

How much is the pension?

What state do you reside in?

Do you have any significant assets (house, car, etc.)?

If so, how much equity do you have in those assets?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to CA Lawyer's Post: Sorry for the delay. The pension is from the State of Wisconsin handled by Employee Trust Fund Annuity. I receive $1000/month after taxes. I receive $1000/month in SS. I live in Wisconsin. I own a condo with $100k in equity (value $225k, mortgage balance $89k, equity loan balance $36k). I have an older car value $5k. The $80k in CC debt is across 12 different cards.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.

The pension is from the State of Wisconsin handled by Employee Trust Fund Annuity. I receive $1000/month after taxes. I receive $1000/month in SS. I live in Wisconsin. I own a condo with $100k in equity (value $225k, mortgage balance $89k, equity loan balance $36k). I have an older car value $5k. The $80k in CC debt is across 12 different cards.