Autism

Autism Questions? Ask an Autism Expert for Answers ASAP

I seem to a significant degree of aspergers. What should I…

Customer Question
I seem to a significant...
I seem to a significant degree of aspergers. What should I do?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Autism
11/12/2017
Autism Expert: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

what symptoms do you have?

I scored high on the Cambridge assessment, and have had life-long problems interacting with people. I offend frequently and have very different priorities in discussion than most. I get frustrated or angry when I address exactly what people say or write, and am criticized for being nit-picky.My belief is that we should think first, say what we mean, and where we have disagreement, follow rules for rational analysis or decision-making. I regard it as rude (almost immoral) not to think clearly before I communicate.I feel insulted when people feel entitled to blame me for taking their exact words to mean what they plainly say.This causes a lot of conflict and suffering for me and my family. I observe overwhelming majority of people do not share these beliefs.

have you considered counseling for this?

Asperger's individuals tend to also lack the ability to see other's point of view

It sounds like you might be able to work on that

I am considering this. An initial assessment seems a reasonable first step.Since I am in Patagonian Chile, seeking online assessment and counseling if appropriate seems a good route.With focused effort and time, I do seem to be able to understand why other's take particular views, but this is of little help after another is offended, sometimes to the point of what a commenter described as "spreading poison".

I think part of your problem is you keep describing it as "other's views". That seems to disregard the fact that others might see your views as "others views". This type of concrete thinking is typical of aspergers but it also the kind of concrete thinking that you need to overcome

I do tend to disregard that.How / where might I obtain assessment testing and if appropriate: counseling online, given my current location?
There are many online counseling sites. Have you researched it?
No, I thought I should speak with a subject matter expert in the field to advise on whether I should seek help and if so: what goals are appropriate and selection criteria to identify a good service.It seems like counseling is indicated. Can you help with goals and how I might rate possible providers?

There are other sites that provide this service

We are not allowed by JA to recommend competing sites though.

I'm sorry

Can you tell me anything about how to set counseling goals?

I think you will need to judge that based on your personal interactions with other

Objective reviews of how relationships are going, etc

Is this helpful?