Autism

Autism Questions? Ask an Autism Expert for Answers ASAP

Can an adult be on the low end of the Autism Spectrum and…

Customer Question
Can an adult be on...
Can an adult be on the low end of the Autism Spectrum and still thrive independently? What would the symptoms be that would indicate a low end of the Autism Spectrum?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Autism
4/2/2017
Autism Expert: Dr. Captain, Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Physician

Hello, welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, trained and board certified in the US with active licenses and certification, and 10 years of experience in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, and Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. So far, 99% of the justanswer community of customers has found my answers helpful, and I currently have the honor of being the highest rated clinician on the site. I will do my best to win over your approval as well!

- For your review, here is a direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and your query about adults on the autism spectrum. I can imagine you must be quite concerned, and I’m so glad you’ve decided to get information from the experts, instead of randomly online. Since everyone has a bit of a different approach, for the purpose of our conversation here, would you prefer:

1) A direct, summary response to your post. I can provide you with both general and focused thoughts that can help you better understand your situation and the relevant medical facts.

2) A more back-and-forth approach to dialog, where we can both converse, and provide a longer series of questions and answers, with the opportunity to have more details clarified and expanded, over a longer period of time.

3) A brief telephone call, where we can eliminate the keyboard and cover whatever material you'd like, in real time. With this approach, you can certainly as many (or few) questions as you’d like, and we can cover topics which may be more embarrassing to some to write down, and of course - without the hassle of typing.

— There is no difference in charges for either of the first two styles of answers. No matter which you select, I will remain here in the dialog to answer any follow-up questions without additional charges. My goal is to give you a response that meets your needs. If you’d like a quick answer, I’m more than happy to provide that. On the other hand, if you’d like a more detailed response, I generally prefer not to rush any answers, and I hope you will never feel rushed with me, either. No matter what you choose, the goal is for your satisfaction, and I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let's go with #1 and hopefully I can glean enough info from it to make sense of this situation. I look forward to hearing your reply. Thank you.

sounds good to me! I expect your response to arrive in approximately 8 minutes. thank you for your patience!

The direct answer is "yes." As far as we understand the autism spectrum disorders, there are children and adults who can be affected, and there can be a wide range of symptoms, from those symptoms which most people would describe as "quirks" or "oddities" to full blown severe, socially-incompatible autism, and on through the asperger's range, which function, in some capacities, beyond what most consider "normal." Depending on the social limitations, and the appropriate circumstances of individual adults, I would venture a guess that most people on the "low end" of the spectrum go without a formal diagnosis (which we generally try to customize personally - meaning, some people prefer a diagnosis for certain reasons, while others may not)

By and large, symptoms of autism involve some element of abnormalities of normal social interaction. Frequently, there is resistance to eye contact, or direct, continuous gaze and attention, but there are sometimes more subtle abnormalities - and there is a substantial impact of clinician impression that is less easy to qualify. More within the "art" of medicine as opposed to "science." This is true, particularly at the lower ends of diagnosis

Here is an excellent, Uptodate handout explaining the A-to-Z for autism spectrum disorders. I hope you will find this helpful to fill in any missing pieces of information you may have... please let me know if I can help explain any parts.