Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am possative my Husbandvof 29 yrs has Aspergers. My

Customer Question

Hi I am possative my Husbandvof 29 yrs has Aspergers. My lifevwith him has been terrible from day one, this is putting it very mildly. He has never been able to form friendships, or when he does they soon dissapear even though he is desperate and over friendly, he cant feel love or show any close emotions watches children orientated films. Is non stop on computor or moble, never listens. And doesnt seem to be able to stop doing things when asked for his own good, for instance Nuzzeling a dog till the dog goes for him his whole life is pretence, makes up what hes saying to sound normal but it never does ie coppies. Is clever at some things but has no idea of life or right from wrong. Could this be Aspergers. Im possative his parents and siblings knew, but kept it hidden from embarrasment, instead if getting help. He has seen a Psyciatrist in the Airforce for doing odd things.
Category: Autism
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had sex for a few weeks then it was a few months between then nothing unless he sees someone he fancies, never smiles unless its for someone hes interested in. Is so eager to please others he actualy falls over himself to get to the door to see them and keeps staring at people in the shop que.will go straight into danger without thinking then runs away when he sees he will be overpowered. Sings little ditties from tv or repeats someones saying because he seems toblike the sound of it. Will bid for some rubbish at an auction and cant stop unless firmly told to stop its rubbish then he will.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

First, as for whether this could be Aspergers or another form of high functioning autism. However, there are many other conditions that should also be considered before making the diagnosis, particularly in someone of his age.

My daughter has been diagnosed with another form of high functioning autism, called PDD-NOS, or pervasive developmental disorder, not otherwise specified, and the diagnosis required multiple assessments and testing over several weeks. In a middle aged adult, it would take even longer.

If he was diagnosed with this by the Psychiatrist that he saw when he was in the Air Force, then the condition would still be present, but if not otherwise already diagnosed, it would require a detailed assessment.

Therefore, yes, someone that is generally functioning in life but has difficulties with social interaction could have a high functioning form of autism, but it is not an easy diagnosis, so would require a detailed assessment.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.