Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am the HR Manager for a Qld based Construction Co - i have…

Customer Question
Hello i am the...

Hello i am the HR Manager for a Qld based Construction Co - i have an employee that was in January promoted to a more senior role, then at the end of May returned to his original position - due to poor performance in the new role ( unfortunately the performance management has not been documented) He has been working with our company since May 2017 he earns 120 K per year plus car allowance of 20K he is in a sales mgmt role

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?

I am the hr manager - but i am looking for confirmation of my understanding He resigned on 25th June giving notice open ended with cut of Sept 1st Am i correct to accept the resignation and in good faith give one months salary and exit him the same day

Lawyer's Assistant: Is your employee "at will?" Does he belong to a union?

No union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have had a number of issues with his behaviour and his performance thats all

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Australia Law
6/30/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
John Melis, Lawyer
Hi, I’m John a solicitor from Melbourne. I may ask you a few questions to narrow the issues you have raised.

There are a couple of points that need to be taken into account of the employee removal.

[1] Where there is an employment agreement, which permits the employee to terminate the employee at will (anytime) then under this circumstance the employer will be able to payout ones notice and terminate the employee.

[2] Where there is no employment contract or the employment contract is silent on the matter of point 1 above, the employee is entitled to be paid out for the full resignation notice.

This means the employee is entitled to be payout until the September end date.

[3] Where you want the employee to be terminated as soon as possible, you will need to enter into negotiation with the employee to come to an agreement for an early termination fee.

[4] Whichever option is chosen in this circumstance you are dealing with it is suggested that the employer enter into a dee of release with the employee, to protect the employer from being claimed against at a later date by the employee for any potential beaches under the Fair Work Act that may have occurred.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

If you need any further information let me know and I will be pleased to assist.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and your important questions.

Have I answered your question today ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thankyou - would you be able to provide me with a deed of release wording so that i can place it into his final letteralso - we do not have any confirmation in his letter of offer - we only have our company policies which he has signed and which say the followingTERMINATION OF EMPLOYMENT (REFER ALSO TO THE TERMINATION POLICY)
Should you wish to resign from your position with Taiyo Membrane Corporation, you are required to provide us with the relevant notice period. mroeSimilarly, your employment may be terminated by Taiyo Membrane Corporation Company, on provision of notice, as referred to in the above table. If the employee has more than 2 years continuous service and is over 45 years of age at the date of termination, an additional weeks’ notice shall apply. Notice may be given or paid in lieu (or part given and part paid) at the discretion of TMC. In cases of serious misconduct immediate termination of employment will apply; in such cases no notice is applicable.
Company owned items and /or equipment in your possession must be returned prior to the transfer of final salary / wages payment
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
more than 1 year - less than three ( which is applicable to this employee) 2 weeks notice

Thank you for the follow up. The deed of release is a separate document to the final letter. The deed has to be drafted specifically for the purpose to which it is used. There are standard precedents that you can obtain on line from various providers but each deed needs to be tailored. The deed on average is about 5 pages long and needs to be drafted for the protection of the employe based on the type of industry the employer is in.

The two weeks notice in your last sentence will come into conflict with the long notice that the employee has given, which could result in a claim if unfair dismissal.

The quickest option to remove the employee is to make that position in the company redundant.