Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I would like to know if a solicitor have any documents more…

Customer Question
Hello I would like...

Hello I would like to know if a solicitor have any documents more than seven years he can destroy them with out my consent

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No this is a private lawyer and he have my brother documents so I ask my brother to pick up that documents and the lawyer said to my brother that the documents been destroyed because were more than seven years I would like to know if the lawyer can do that

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Victoria

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
6/1/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, I’m John a solicitor from Melbourne. I may ask you a few questions to narrow the issues you have raised.

In relation to your important question a lawyer, as you know, must hold the client file for 7 years.

Where there are original documents, the lawyer must hold the documents permanently, or return them to the client.

Where the lawyer does not want to hold the original documents any further, that lawyer must seek instruction from the client. If the client refuses to give instruction the lawyer may then provide an alternative arrangement for the document holding.

The key point is, the lawyer cannot destroy any files until notification has been issued to the client. Original documents must be returned back to the client.

If you need any further information let me know and I will be pleased to assist.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and your important questions.

Have I answered your question today ?