Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I want to know what my rights are, as a grandparent, to have…

Customer Question
Hi, I want to...

Hi, I want to know what my rights are, as a grandparent, to have access to my grandchildren when their father (my son) refuses.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your son taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?

No, he just refuses for me to have contact. He is in Brisbane, I'm in Victoria.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has he talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No to my knowledge

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Thank you.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
6/1/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, I’m John a solicitor from Melbourne. I may ask you a few questions to narrow the issues you have raised.

is there a reason your son is refusing access ?

Sure
His mother and I separated when he was very young. Our relationship was good until he reached adulthood then he decided he didn't want me in his life, despite my having visited with him and his child. That was 8 years ago.

thank you for that detail.

There are several options.

Have you considered the option counselling yet ?

He's not interested in counselling. Do I have any legal rights for visitation?
Um, I have just been charged $103.99.Why is this so - I agreed to $5 only?

You will only pay what you have agreed too.

You can seek rights with various ways but you need to be careful to avoid a restraining order being raised.

How about we talk on the phone so I can explain detail how to manage this process ?

But I have already been charged an extra $98.00 over and above what I have agreed to. I would expect a refund immediately. This seems very unusual. Please call me to discuss!!

I only have access to the forum chat and the call offer I extended.

If you are able to accept the call offer I can talk to you straight away

How much extra will that cost me?

Please look at the special offer I just sent you

I really just want my money back now - this seems to be a scam.

its not a scam , you are talking with .lawyer

Did you not understand my earlier statement. My credit card was fleeced of an additional 98 dollars over and above what I agreed to pay. If that's not a scam I don't know what its!!!

Just Answer will fix that for you

how do I facilitate that?

there is a support menu on your screen and their you can send a message and they will fix the situation quickly.

in the meantime lets talk about your important access rights