Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I need some advice on an insurance claim. I’m in Victoria. I…

Customer Question
Hi I need some...

Hi I need some advice on an insurance claim

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I’m in Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I made a claim after my car was stolen in March. I’d only had it for 9 days. The police found it all smashed up not far from my place- long story short I was offered settlement, but it’s a rent to own setup so as I’m not the owner legally if the car the decision wasn’t mine. The company I lease through rejected the first offer on the basis they couldnt replace at that price

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. They kept stuffing me around with reimbursements and I made a complaint eventually. The minute I made the conpiaint they contacted me and said the claim was no longer approved and they were having me investigated. I’ve just gone through 5hrs of questions and told to sign a million forms to permit access to everything from medical to phone records. Is this ok? I’m really unsure about it all

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
5/31/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, I’m John a solicitor from Melbourne. I may ask you a few questions to narrow the issues you have raised.

the investigation that is occurring is a normal process and usually uncomfortable with the requirements for the disclosure of information. Once insurer has collected all the details they will then let you be and make their findings on the information provided.

If there are no anomalies then the claim will be covered.

Where you are being harassed you can make a formal complaint to the insurance ombudsman as well.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

If you need any further information let me know and I will be pleased to assist.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and your important questions.

Have I answered your question today ?