Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Ihad an insurance claim in 2016 wherethe vehicle was insured…

Customer Question
Ihad an insurance claim...

Ihad an insurance claim in 2016 wherethe vehicle was insured as a wheelchair access vehicle. Insurance company paid out on value of a standard station wagon vehicle. The cost of converting that vehicle was $30ooo and it was listed on the original insurance application as a wheelchair access vehicle. The payout to me was $9000 but they didn't include the $30k value of the conversion. What do you recommend?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NT Insurance company located Brisban and Melbourne

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Have paperwork

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
5/30/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

You need to look at whether you had the modifications insured. If they were insured and noted on the policy then you can claim them.

If not then you cannot claim them.

Did you sign any release when you were paid the money and the claim was finalised?

Insurance application stated it was wheelchair accessible. Can't see any release. assessor kept noting on assessment that figures don't include wheelchair conversion. What right does he have to do this? Or on whose instructions does he exclude it?

Good Morning

Had you disclosed the cost of the modifications when you took out the policies?

As the insured you are responsible to make sure that you set out all modifications and their costs if you do not do that the description does not cover you.

So you need to see whether the modifications are set out and their costs.

Do you have the initial application you made to take out the insurance?

Just found that I was paid pro rata for modifications. Disregard. Tks for your help

Good Morning

You are very welcome.

All the best and good luck

Regards

ok

You are welcome