Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have just changed suppliers to the nbn, TPG the original…

Customer Question
I have just changed...

I have just changed suppliers to the nbn, TPG the original company took our phone number that is in the phone book & now won't return it. I now have no home phone if I am sick at all what happens if I die. I have had 5 blood clots & am on medication for this but I need my old phone number back & TPG won't help with this. They say that they have transfered the number over but I still have no home phone. Can you please see if you can get them to return my original number to me. (07 3841 0550). Both the new nbn provider can't seem to get TPG to help me.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in QLD.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Spoken to TPG many times they just hand me from one person to the next.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes they have no concern for people that have a medical condition.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
5/30/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon

When you change suppliers, did you also request that they purport your telephone number across to them?

Unless you instruct that you wish to keep the number, any new supplier will provide you with a brand-new number and the original number you had is disconnected and remains with the previous carrier.

You having such a dangerous medical condition are entitled to a phone and you need to request your current supplier to arrange for the connection of your phone line.

You need to also request if they are able to port across your original phone number if it is still available.

How long ago did you change across?

You are going to have to send a letter, as telephone conversations do nothing. This letter has to be sent to TPG requesting that they allow your old number to be ported across to your new provider.

You must give them 7 days from the date you send a letter to complete the porting.

If they refuse or do nothing then you will need to file a details complaint with the telecommunication ombudsman.

I suggest in your letter to TPG that you clearly set out what happened dates times and who you spoke to what was said.

This will all have to be sent to TPG and if they fail to respond positively then you will need to file your application with the ombudsman and have them intervene.

Unless you can show evidence that you have attempted to resolve the issue with the company, hence the requirements of the letter, the ombudsman will not do very much.

In the meantime your current provider should provide you with a temporary phone number and phone line so that you have access to Emergency services as required.

If you are already connected to the NBN then you have access to use a phone they just simply have to activate on their end.

The ombudsman's website is as follows:

https://www.tio.com.au/

I hope this has assisted you with your question today.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Hi Thank you for your email, I have already spoken with the Ombudsman, as this is to the point i am getting very upset which isn't good for my health.

Good Morning

I understand where you are coming from.

But you need to send a detailed letter to TPG so that you can have evidence in writing to take the matter further.

If you need anything further please let me know.

Regards