Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Do legal aid qld help with custody battles? None, The baby…

Customer Question
Do legal aid qld...

Do legal aid qld help with custody battles?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in Queensland family court?

None, The baby was conceived for a "friend

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

We have a “friend “ who was a surrogate for someone else who decided 2 weeks before babies birth that they didn’t want to be parents. We were then contacted asking if we would take him (I cannot have any more children - we have 2 daughters already) and of course we said yes. We were living in Tasmania at the time but I hoped on a place to be there for his birth. He was born via c section on 15 May 2017. I was in the room for the surgery. Right after birth he was placed on me for skin to skin contact. I did all the “mum” things, eg feed him, bath him etc. on 20th May 2017 I flew home with him back to Tasmania. My husband Adam is on his birth certificate. We made a silly decision last year to move here in March 2018 so baby could have a relationship with birth mum. We moved before doing the parenting order.
On Wednesday 16th May 2018, I dropped all 3 children off to her while I had a medication change (I wanted to wait until my husband arrived as he didn’t arrive until 24th May 2018 but she talked me into doing it before he arrived) but the medication change ended up as a suicide attempt. I was on a medication for bipolar that I shouldn’t have been on so now the doctor has taken me off it and I’ve now made a full recovery and will live a normal healthy life. She told me she would look after all 3 children until my husband arrived. While I was in hospital she contacted child safety services and then convinced my 14 year old to tell them I bash her. Child safety have given our 9 year old back, placed our 14 year old in foster care while they finish their investigation, and they said they can’t do anything about baby and we need to take her to family court. Apparently because there’s no court orders she can just keep him if she wants? Does that mean if we can get him for a visit we can just keep him until court because there’s no court orders? We need help getting our son back

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know if we can get legal aid help, as we have raised baby from birth and can't afford the thousands in lawyer fees because we just moved from tas to qld. We don't understand how she can give a baby t strangers to raise then turn around a year later and decide she wants him back

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
5/30/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, I’m John a solicitor from Melbourne. I may ask you a few questions to narrow the issues you have raised.

of course

what is the best outcome would you like to receive ?

I was supposed to legally adopt him so that's what we want
my husband is on his birth certificate as his legal father and i have plenty of texts and emails stating that i am mum and i am to adopt him

ok

I am drafting a reply for you, in meantime would you like to talk on the phone ?

Na it's ok. Just want to know if we can get legal aid so we can book an appointment with a local lawyer.

Yes you can get legal aid to help you

What city and you in and I will provide their details

Legal Aid Hobart

Street Address:***** Hobart TAS 7000.
Postal Address: GPO Box 1422 Hobart 7001
DX Address: DX 123

Phone: (03) 6236 3800
Fax: (03) 6236 3811

Legal Aid Launceston

Street Address:*****Launceston TAS 7250
Postal Address: PO Box 810 Launceston 7250
DX Address: DX 70126

Phone: (03) 6328 4000
Fax: (03) 6328 4040

Emerald QLD 4720

Ok, One moment please and I will update the details for you

call Legal Aid Queensland on 1300 65 11 88
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time—for the cost of a local call (from a landline in Australia), except for public holidays.

LAQ directory switchboard—call 07 3238 3500.

www.legalaid.qld.gov.au

thanks

you are welcome