Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

A US Company has been hacking into my pension account

Customer Question
A US Company has...

A US Company has been hacking into my pension account through St. George Bank on approximately (5) separate occasions. This has occurred every pension day and has left me with no money at all. I"ve driven immediately to St.George Bank to report it. It recently occured twice on my fortnightly pension day into the account and St. George as they have promised through their fraud squad to replace the money that was stolen but has now done it yet. I reported the last incident on 2 or 3rd of May and nothing has come back into the account at all. I I've had to go to St George and close the whole account and begin a new account. What do I do to have this investigated properly. Graham Mooney

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in Sydney and my local branch is a Broadway Shopping Centre, Broadway, Sydney. I live nearby in Glebe. Graham Mooney

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

St. George Staff are quite aware of the funds from this US Company called Norton that I have nothing to do with. I have spoken to them what security do they have to protect my account. This is not the first time this has occurred. It's a 5th time but St George has not put in place any security on my account and I just changed the whole account in the last 3 weeks and they promised that the funds be put back into the account. I loose out because I do not have funds to pay my bills and I get fined because St.George Bank does not seemed to worry about the risks of this same company hacking into my account. It happened in a fortnight after I cancelled the visa/ debit card and St. George has not done anything to protect my account or have not replaced the money. It's all on their records I can assure you. I ring every other day but nothing has been done and I miss out because that is my only form of income. My pension. Graham Mooney

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really I've already had to consider another bank but I've been a customer of St. George when it was a building cooperative before it became a Bank. And the Bank is easy for me to access near my house, but it raises grave concerns of the high risks that they Bank does not seem to be concerned over its customers. Even if I am on an old aged pension. Graham Mooney

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Australia Law
5/29/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 23 days ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

You are going to have to freeze that account and have your money go to another account.

You also have to report this to the police.

If you know the whereabouts of the company in the US you can also have a report lodged with the police department in the state they are in.

But to make sure that they cannot get anymore money open a new account and have your pension paid into that account and close the one they are stealing from.

With St George send them a letter and confirm the discussions with them and request that they honour their agreement and have the money reinstated in seven days. If they fail to do so then you take them to the ombudsman and report them to have the ombudsman force them.

You have to set out all the times you went in and who you spoke to and what was said in your letter.

The ombudsmans website is as follows

https://www.fos.org.au/

Before you go to the ombudsman you have to show you have tried ot solve the issue with the bank.

I hope this assists you with your question today.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards