Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a 4wd that i purchased from a person privet sale. The…

Customer Question
I have a 4wd...

I have a 4wd that i purchased from a person privet sale

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

The gear box had been rebuilt by a workshop, i had the vehicle for three days and the gearbox failed. we returned it to the place of business where the gear box had been rebuilt as it was with in the warranty period, the workshop took 5 months to repair and in the end we removed it from his workshop as it still was not fixed properly. we took to another workshop and found the gear box to still be faulty and now its in my drive way with no drive and im out of pocket for a vehicle that i paid $10,000 for and is now worthless

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We have asked the workshop to pay some one who knows what they are doing to repair the box but they will not they told us to take the 4wd and piss off

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have supplide an additional $1,000 worth of bits for the repairs

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
5/29/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, I’m John a solicitor from Melbourne. I may ask you a few questions to narrow the issues you have raised.

which state are you in ?

You will have a claim under the Australian Consumer Law based on the facts that you have described and you will be able to claim compensation. The legislative Act that applies is the Competition and Consumer Act 2010, Schedule 2.

Goods:

b. Goods must be fit for purpose

c. Goods must match their description

d. Goods must match any sample or model.

Services:

a. Must be rendered with due care and skill

b. Services must be fit for the specified purpose.

c. Services must be provided within a reasonable time.

Seller has several options they can provide where goods or services have not meet the requisite standard. The seller can either repair, replace, refund, compensation, and cancel the entire contract.

What you need to do is to write a formal complaint to the company. This complaint needs to be in a chronological order detailing what is the issue and what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The chronological order need to be be numbered with points 1, 2, 3, etc. with each point being a separate item.

The complaint needs to have detailed what you need fixed and for a time limit of a minimum of 7 days to apply.

The complaint then needs to be sent to the dispute resolutions department. Make sure you keep a copy for yourself.

Preferably send the complaint by email.

If you do not receive a reply within 7 days issue a follow up complaint to the first complaint issued.

If no response is received then it is time to commence an action in the state local tribunal such as NCAT NSW, VCAT VIC, SCAT SA, QCAT QD, or the local court in WA.

You can lodge this claim directly on their website. The key element of the claim is the points claim that details the matter, This application point will need a little time to prepare the facts, and I recommend that you download the application first, review, fill it out, and then when you are ready lodge the same online

You may also have a claim of misleading conduct by the seller, under section 18 of the Australian Consumer Law. In general, misleading someone may include conduct ranging from lying to them, to making false or inaccurate claims, to creating a false impression, to leading them to a wrong conclusion, to omitting important information. Importantly, it is not necessary to establish that the trader intended to mislead or deceive. A person or corporation may have engaged in conduct that was misleading or deceptive even if they have acted honestly and reasonably. Silence may constitute misleading or deceptive conduct, but this will depend on the circumstances of the case.

The contractor cannot rely on a disclaimer or exclusion clause to protect themselves from misleading or deceptive conduct. However, the fine print will still be considered.

Would you like to try this option of the complaint first.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

If you need any further information please let me know.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and your important questions.

Have I answered your question today ?

Goods:

b. Goods must be fit for purpose

c. Goods must match their description

Services:

Preferably send the complaint by email.

Have I answered your question today ?