Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We are owed money on a debt nearly two year old. We have a…

Customer Question
We are owed money...

We are owed money on a debt nearly two year old. We have a signed and witnessed agreement. We have sent two requests inthe last three months, second one was returned. How do we proceed from here. Kerry

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

South Australia.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Only sending payment requests at no avail. The agreement was $50 a fornight . His ex partner is still paying her half but he hasn't paid any off his half.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really.

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/29/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 27 days ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, I’m John a solicitor from Melbourne. I may ask you a few questions to narrow the issues you have raised.

In relation to your debt claim, issue a demand notice with 14 days to pay, and if the amount is not settled, then commence proceedings in SCAT for pursuing the payment.

The SCAT process is very good to meditate disputes of this type as it forces the parties to come together to discuss the issues involved.

In most cases at mediation the matter will settle.

The matter is Civil - building list

You will be the applicant and the the respondent.

The matter is Civil.

You will be the applicant and the insurer the respondent.

The important filing document is the points of claim. This document needs to be carefully drafted.

What you need to do is to write the complaint in a chronological order detailing what is the issue and what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The chronological order need to be numbered with points 1, 2, 3, etc. with each point being a separate item.

I recommend that you download the application first, complete the same and then upload as required to commence the claim.

The following link will assist you further.

https://www.scat.sa.gov.au

Would you like to consider this option ?

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

If you need any further information let me know and I will be pleased to assist.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and your important questions.

Have I answered your question today ?