Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My son is in Geraldton. He's a builder. I'm in Sydney and he…

Customer Question
Hello - My son...

Hello - My son is in Geraldton. He's a builder. I'm in Sydney and he told my wife recently after a family visit, that he has a customer who has caused him quite some angst. She won't pay her A/C for work he completed some months back and I believe has possession of materiasls that belong to him. As you are a CONSUMER PROTECTION LAWYER, could you advise me of an email address and/or Perth phone number he could connect with for this problem. Thanks - ***** *****.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

W.A.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I'll have to speak with him and maybe have to get back to you Pearl.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No - that's all thanks

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
5/28/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, I’m John a solicitor from Melbourne. I may ask you a few questions to narrow the issues you have raised.

Hi Anthony in relation to your debt claim, issue a demand notice with 14 days to pay, and if the amount is not settled, then commence proceedings in the local court for pursuing the payment.

The local court process is very good to meditate disputes of this type as it forces the parties to come together to discuss the issues involved.

In most cases at mediation the matter will settle.

The matter is Civil.

You will be the plaintiff and the buyer the defendant.

The important filing document is the statement of claim. This document needs to be carefully drafted.

I recommend that you download the application first, complete the same and then upload as required to commence the claim.

The alternative to this is filing an application in the local court, in which case you will be able to recover your legal fees as well in pursuit of the debt amount.

What you need to do is to write the complaint in a chronological order detailing what is the issue and what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The chronological order need to be numbered with points 1, 2, 3, etc. with each point being a separate item.

The following link will assist you further.

www.districtcourt.wa.gov.au

Would you like to consider this option ?

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

If you need any further information let me know and I will be pleased to assist.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and your important questions.

Have I answered your question today ?