Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

5my friend is being evicted w. Under false pretenses.

Customer Question
5my friend is being...

5my friend is being evicted w

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory is the friend in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Under false pretenses

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the friend taken so far?

Victoria..Mel

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing she is 73 and in shock A 60 day notice given 5 May

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
5/28/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon

I am sorry to hear this.

I will assume she was under a periodic lease.

Depending on the reason it is either 60 days or if there is no reason it should be 120 days.

Here is some information on the law as it stands in Victoria at the moment.

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/housing/renting/ending-a-lease-or-residency/if-the-landlord-or-owner-wants-the-tenant-to-leave/landlord-giving-notice-to-vacate

Look at the heading

Not before the lease ends: Reasons a landlord can ask a tenant to vacate

It sets out the reasons and notice periods

If she needs more time to find alternative accommodation she will need to talk to the Landlord.

Before she does that she should see if she can find any alternative accommodation. As she gets closer to the date she can then seek an extension and if they refuse then she can take the matter to VCAT.

If she is on a fixed term lease then they cannot do this unless they show hardship.

I hope this assists with your question today.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards