Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I’m in a civil despute with a collections company over my…

Customer Question
I’m in a civil...

I’m in a civil despute with a collections company over my car. Can they enter my property and steal it?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Vic

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

They are third party and I have all paper work regarding loan being paid of via BOE with St.George bank in 2016

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What real legal power do third party have ?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
5/26/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, I’m John a solicitor from Melbourne. I may ask you a few questions to narrow the issues you have raised.

In relation to your important question you have explained the following:

You have raised the question whether the collections agency may enter your property and repossess (remove) your vehicle.

Where a collections company appointed by the financier to repossess your vehicle enters onto private property, which is your land, this will enable you to raise a civil claim against that party for trespass to land.

Trespass to land involves direct and intentional or negligent interference with land in the exclusive possession of another without consent or other lawful authorisation. Similar to other trespass actions, trespass to land is actionable per se (there is no requirement for damage).

In order to sue, the plaintiff need not be the owner of the land but must have exclusive possession of the land at the time of the alleged trespass. Exclusive possession is possession of land with the right to exclude others, which in this case is you.

Trespass to land is actionable per se; therefore, where there is no actual damage to person or property, or any financial loss caused by the trespass, generally only nominal (minimal) damages are available.

Where the trespass caused actual damage to the land or structures on the land, compensatory damages are awarded. The aim of compensatory damages, as with all tortious actions, is to place the plaintiff in the same position he/she would have been had the tort not been committed.

If this does occur by the collection agency and there is a witness to the trespass, it will make the repossess of the vehicle unlawful.

You can ten raise proceedings in the Magistrates Court claiming damages against the collections agency for the trespass.

To commence an action in te Magistrates Court this will be done by filing a statement of claim and serving the same on the defendant who is the collections agency.

The following link will assist you with the forms required to commence an action.

You may run the claim yourself or engage a lawyer to assist you.

https://www.magistratescourt.vic.gov.au/forms

Would you like to consider this option..

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

If you need any further information let me know and I will be pleased to assist.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and your important questions.

Have I answered your question today ?