Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am wondering if the police are investigating me can they…

Customer Question
Hi I am wondering...

Hi I am wondering if the police are investigating me can they put cameras in, around or outside my home without notifying me. I live in Queensland.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a Queensland lawyer about this?

Do you mean have they notified my lawyer?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken so far?

I have been questioned by the police and there is an investigation under way but that is all I have been told

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
5/25/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

My name is ***** ***** I will answer your question today

what is the investigation related too ?

Allegations have been made against me accusing me of having a relationship with a 15 year old I am 22. I work at a school as a teacher aide and have been suspended from work for 5 weeks now

This would not provide sufficient grounds for the police to place camera's around your property.

can you see the camera's anywhere ?

would you like to talk on the phone ?

No I can’t see cameras anywhere I was just wondering. I have been questioned but that is all. Is there a time period that the investigation can go on for?
What would give them sufficient grounds. This police woman has been very deceiving so far and I just want to know my rights and what I am up against.

Investigations can be indefinite, only if the the state provides the funding. Where there is no crime, and only allegations raised, there may be monitoring for a few weeks only.

Would you like to have a chat on the phone. ?

Ok thank you. I haven’t been charged with anything. She has just said the investigation is still on going

Ok, then after a bit of time such mattes will cease.

you have a rights to protect yourself, it really depends on the facts, can you tell me more about the allegations, or if you prefer we can talk in the phone too for privacy.

I’m not available to talk on the phone at the moment sorry. But they can’t put cameras around my home from what I’ve told you. The allegations are coming from a third party the student that the allegations are about is also saying they are false and so is his guardian. I am family friends with this person and have been with his family for many years

That is correct. The police cannot enter your property and put cameras to monitor you.

Ok thank you for your help. I may give you a call tomorrow

you are welcome