Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Afternoon, I have two loans at the moment which I obtained…

Customer Question
Afternoon, I have two...

Afternoon, I have two loans at the moment which I obtained in good faith while working. I suddenly found myself without employment and on the age pension. Although the creditors have been very helpful I am finding it now difficult to pay back these loans. Is there any way I could approach them to either waive the loans (each approximately 3,500.00) or perhaps reduce the amount owing so that I may attempt to finalise them before I drop of the perch so to speak. Thank you Corrie

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have asked them to reduce the payments to 50.00 a month but even this would then take quite a number of years and as I only get about 950.00 a fortnight and 800.00 of that has to pay my fortnightly rent it does not leave much for other things such as electricity etc.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just trying to stop stressing about this !!! Thank you

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
5/25/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon,

you are well within your rights to approach them and request that they waive the loan. In order for them to consider your request they will require that you provide them a full balance sheet showing all your income and expenditure and your assets and liabilities.

If you have no assets but are renting and your income is only the pension this may be convincing and they may reduce or waive the entire loan.

I suggest you put your request in writing and show what you can afford to pay and that by making any payment you are being put in financial stress.

If they then refuse, then you will have to consider other options with the worst being declaring bankruptcy, if you have no other assets which will wipe the debts and after 3 years you are free to do as you wish.

But any requests should be made in writing.

I hope this has assisted you with your question today.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards