Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My daughter has been living out of home, she is 20 years old…

Customer Question
My daughter has been...

My daughter has been living out of home, she is 20 years old and now is out of work so has gone to Centrelink to sign up on Youth Allowance, I earn $69000 a year, do I have to support her even though she does not live at home. She rents a room for $100 a week.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No sorry, just dealing with Centrelink at the moment, Centrelink are asking for my last tax return details even though she does not live with me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Western Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks Pearl

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
5/2/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon

There is no requirement under the law that says you must support your daughter. She's an adult.

If she was in tertiary education and in need of assistance, she can apply to the Family Court and get orders from the court. But if she is not in full-time education and dependent on you the court will not make any orders.

In relation to Centrelink, they have no role to play here as she is an adult. I would not be giving them any information unless they explain to you what they want they want.

Charles support finishes at the age of 18 and you are not responsible to pay any more after that date.

I hope this has assisted you with your question today.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards